Thanks my Lord

by Godofredo Rivera

"Prayer before Meal" painting by Vicente Manansala

Thanks a million times, my Lord, for this patient little heart of mine that Thou gave me. It is my precious possession… my life.

When I first saw the bright star above, I built a ladder to reach the sky, to pick the flaming gem.

Too high. My ladder could reach only the crown of the mango tree.

On the composite shore the beckoning hands of a beautiful woman were flagging an irresistible signal. So I built a bridge to get across the water.

Too wide. My bridge reached only a few roads away. And as I looked after inland, way up, standing upon the crest of the mountain was the magnificent figure of a titan in a scarlet robe, casting abroad gold, perfumes and diamonds. And thousands of men, like thousands of snarling dogs, were fighting for the free luxuries scattered around. So I started to climb.

Too steep. My knees were not built for that savage pilgrimage.

And so I built myself a shed of green leaves at the edge of the brook. Days I filled my little heart with joy, watching the dancing rivulet. Nights I wrap my little heart in the gossamer of peace as I listen to the eloquent sermon of the kalaw.

Each night an augury. Each day a reality.

How wonderful is life.

Thanks a million times, my Lord.

Thanks.

Copyright © 2011 
All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular Posts

Disclaimer

The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by “Poetika at Literatura” and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.

In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.

Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of “Poetika at Literatura”. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.

Every effort is made to keep the website up and running smoothly. However, “Poetika at Literatura” takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.


J.M. Benavidez Estoque "Poetika at Literatura"
All Rights Reserved
Copyright © 2009 - 2021