Order for Mask

.by Virginia R. Moreno

A Colorful Mask From Masskara Festival
courtesy of a Pinterest User

To this harlequinade
 I wear black tight and fool’s cap
 Billiken, make me three bright masks
 For the three tasks in my life.
 Three faces to wear
 One after the other
 For the three men in my life.


When my Brother comes
 make me one opposite
 If he is a devil, a saint
 With a staff to his fork
 And for his horns, a crown.
 I hope for my contrast
 To make nil
 Our old resemblance to each other
 and my twin will walk me out
 Without a frown
 Pretending I am another.

  
When my Father comes
 Make me one so like
 His child once eating his white bread in trance
 Philomela before she was raped. I hope by likeness
 To make him believe this is the same kind
 The chaste face he made,
 And my blind Lear will walk me out
 Without a word
 Fearing to peer behind.


If my lover comes,
 Yes, when Seducer comes
 Make for me the face
 That will in color race
 The carnival stars
 And change in shape
 Under his grasping hands.
 Make it bloody
 When he needs it white
 Make it wicked in the dark
 Let him find no old mark
 Make it stone to his suave touch
 This magician will walk me out
 Newly loved.
 Not knowing why my tantalizing face
 Is strangely like the mangled parts of a face
 He once wiped out. 


Make me three masks.


Copyright © 2011
All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular Posts

Disclaimer

The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by “Poetika at Literatura” and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.

In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.

Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of “Poetika at Literatura”. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.

Every effort is made to keep the website up and running smoothly. However, “Poetika at Literatura” takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.


J.M. Benavidez Estoque "Poetika at Literatura"
All Rights Reserved
Copyright © 2009 - 2021